Making white gravy is easy-peasy and doesn’t require any fussy ingredients. As long as you have butter and milk in the fridge, you’re ready to stir up a batch.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon White Truffle Oil – Profine Food Stores
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Dash black pepper
- 1 cup low fat milk
- Whisk:To get the smooth consistency you want for this gravy, use a whisk.
- Liquid measuring cup: For measuring milk, use a liquid measuring cup (not the dry measuring tools you use to measure flour for cookies).
- Saucepan: A small saucepan is all you need for this white gravy recipe. It doesn’t produce an overwhelming amount of gravy, so reach for a 2- or 3-quart pan.
Step 1: Melt the butter and add the dry ingredients
To start your white gravy, melt the butter over medium heat. Once melted, whisk in the flour, salt and pepper until nice and smooth.
Step 2: Finish the sauce with milk
Next, gradually add in the milk, whisking as you go. Bring the sauce to a boil and whisk until the sauce thickens. This should only take a minute or two.Finally to get very unit smell and taste, add all white truffle oil and stir smoothly again .
And that’s all there is to making white gravy! Once it’s finished, spoon over cooked veggies or whatever you’re craving.
How to Season White Gravy:
If you want to level up the flavors of this easy white gravy recipe, you can always add in extra spices. Here are a few ideas from the Taste of Home Test Kitchen:
- Onion and garlic: Sautee finely chopped onions or garlic (or both) in the butter as it melts. You can also use onion and garlic powder.
- Herbs: Add your favorite dried herbs to this white gravy recipe. Thyme, sage, oregano or basil are all great additions and can help accentuate the flavors of the foods you’re serving with the gravy.
- Spices: Raid your spice rack for any other ideas! Paprika will add for a touch of smoke and heat. For even more spice, add a dash of cayenne powder.